Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Mirror

Who is this I see in the mirror?
Does she hold the answers to the questions that I fear?

I ask her to share the knowledge that she holds,
But the truth, I can not be told.

The questions that I have for her, you see,
Only have answers that are found within me.

The hardest thing to do is to look within one's self.
I, for one, have never been able to trust what I have felt.

For some reason others are able to read me like a book.
They can see what is behind these hazel eyes with just one look.

I am asked, "why do you hold on to all this pain?"
In return I say, "without it, true happiness I can not gain."

I believe I am ready for the answers that I seek,
But the lady in the mirror simply turns the other cheek.

"My dear child", the lady in the mirror says to me,
"Look at me and tell me what is it you see?"

"What I see is something I can not believe,
For what I see is ME."

I ask the lady in the mirror, "why has it taken me so long to see myself?"
"Because", she answers, "it has taken you this long to understand the pain you have felt."

Since that day I have tried to live my life without fear.
Some days when I start to feel that pain, I simply look within the mirror.

1 comment: